Better Late Than Never!

Greetings from Richmond…once again!

Yesterday I was riding a running high all day, after a run with Katherine that left me feeling back in the marathon spirit (of course, seeing the setup getting underway for the NYC marathon probably fueled that feeling). Afterwards I strongly considered heading to the gym for some easy cycling (so worried about my joints cramping up over the next two weeks), but decided swapping out all of the tanks in the closet for the sweaters under the bed was stretchtastic enough. Operation bring in fall and winter wardobe=success!

Another success from last night? Saying no to the many pieces of Halloween candy sitting around my apartment (as I promised the internet world and myself I’d work on) and still satisfying the giant urge to have dessert after dinner. Thanks to the latest Self magazine, I had a quick-and-simple recipe for apple pie. If you can call it a recipe…because it consisted of microwaving a cubed apple with a pinch each of cinnamon and sugar. Annnnd it tasted just like the inside of an apple pie–minus the many calories and the crust (which I don’t typically like too much anyway). Viola! Thank you, SELF magazine. Thanks for a scrumptious 100-calorie sweet treat that is not wrapped in silver or orange. It was early to bed after that. Why?

Well because I’m a wee bit stupid. In order to squeeze in a smidge of family time amidst all of the fun wedding events going on this weekend, I thought it’d be a doable/smart decision to take a 7:30 flight out of LaGuardia this morning. Do you know what that entails? Here, I’ll tell you. Waking up at 5:15 a.m. (yes, apparently 5:15 does exist in the world of “a.m.” times…something I’m sure I’ll also painfully come to grips with on marathon morning) to catch a bus at 5:42 for a very stop-and-go/incredibly boring ride to the airport. Great decision Katie, great. Loyal to my loved ones down south? I’d say so.

Only the fun doesn’t stop there. It was freezing cold. And raining. And the bus broke down three times going over the Triboro Bridge. And then we were dropped off on the side of the road and told to wait for the next bus. No big deal if its warm and sunny and you’re not trying to catch a plane.

So I wandered the dark streets of IdunnowhereQueens until I could find a cab willing to take me the rest of the trek. I bolted through security as fast as I could, only to find out my plane was delayed. So I got coffee and waited. And it was delayed again. And again. And we finally pull out and up 2 hours and 15 minutes later. Travel woes.

Once the plane landed though the day picked up. My very dear friend and partner in the whole Maid of Honor business picked me up at the airport so we could tackle a few bridesmaid errands while everyone else was still at the office. This essentially consisted of stocking up on plenty of breakfast and snack foods for our pre-wedding day slumber party, lunch grub that doesn’t mess up pretty hair/nails/makeup etc. while getting dolled up on Saturday afternoon, and plenty of booze to keep everyone a little bit silly and very much happy (well, everyone but me, the marathonwiner who gets no more wine ’til AFTER the marathon).

Co-MOH duties took up the majority of the morning, and from there we headed to one of my all-time favorite Richmond joints–Sette. Yes, New York has amazing pizza around every corner, but Sette is one rare non-NY pizza place that can hold its own. Delish! My sister met us for the munchies so I’d have a ride back toward my parents hood afterwards. I had scheduled a hair appt to get things looking pretty for wedding pictures/more appropriate for winter weather (you know what I mean, bright blonde only works in the summer months), so that was next on the agenda.

Annnd much to my very happy surprise, my older sister asked if I wanted to join her for a jog once we got home. It was super important for me to keep the legs fresh by getting in a quick jog in between hair and dinner. So that I did. Just a few boring loops around my parents non-sidewalked neighborhood. I finished just in time to enjoy a dinner celebrating my grandmothers birthday, and after an awesome meal complete with amaretto cake, we headed down the road to my elementary school. What for, you ask? To go to their annual pumpkin lighting ceremony–something I have not had the pleasure of attending since approximately 1995. I was stoked, to say the very least. The night came to a Halloweeny close by curling up with my favorite little niece for some popcorn and the ABC airing of “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!”

Not sure if tomorrow will leave a second of time for blogging (or running for that matter, but the early bird in me is trying to fight off the groggy sleeper from Wednesday morning). If it does, see you then kiddos. If not, enjoy your weekend–I know I will!


2 Responses to “Better Late Than Never!”

  1. 1 Brigid October 27, 2011 at 10:23 pm

    oh my gosh! I hate getting up super early only to have something delayed to the point where you could have slept extra. So frustrating!

    Sounds like you had a great day with your family. The pumpkin lighting ceremony sounds fun!

  2. 2 marathon winer November 2, 2011 at 10:14 pm

    it was a ton of fun!!! thanks brigid!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: