annd another one
gone done and another one gone done another one18-miler bites the dust!
Queen sang the soundtrack to my run today. Tricky to have a soundtrack to a run when you don’t wear headphones or even own an ipod for that matter. Well, logging 3-hours of solo running –SANS “real” music — can make you go a little crazy. On top of singing to yourself, you can very easily pick up talking to yourself. Luckily for me, my conversations at least stick in my head (I passed a guy in running gear today yelling at himself, though at least he was being encouraging and screaming “you’re almost there!”). Here’s how some of my convo’s started today:
- The river is so pretty when it doesn’t look muddy brown and this fall weather is beautiful for a run! Today might not be so bad after all!
- Eating a jar of peanut butter was probably NOT the best way to fuel before a run, Katie. Whether you woke up feeling famished or not. Tsk tsk. Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin’ world go round! No really. That was gross.
- Statue of Liberty! You are so cool. This run was worth it just to say hello to you!
- Bahhh. Only one more mile until I’m allowed to pop that GU open. Eff that. I’m sucking it down now.
- Dear pigeons and all other birds that get under my feet with zero fear in your hearts: I hate you.
- I feel super cool that I’m looping the lower end of Manhattan and exploring the east side for the first time. But it’s nice to know my riverside park runs are way prettier (sorry east siders).
- It is super cool, especially for my very OCD mind that I can leave my apartment, go down the west side, come back up the east side, and cross over to my apartment and it’s almost exactly 18 miles. Hot dog! It’s also super cool that I am literally running the perimeter of NYC today. Hot dog again!
- I may be using the “spare water cash” I have stashed on bags of ice in an hour…
- NYPD officer on a bike who just gave me a big smile and yelled “you can do it!”: how did you know I was heading into a dark place? your enthusiasm just pulled me out. thankyouandpleasemarryme (jk JD,jk).
- Dear tourists and all other pedestrians that get under my feet with zero fear in your hears: I am so tempted to pummel you.[Note: even jokingly inserting the bohemian rhapsody lyrics that are so fitting right here would make me look like a legit crazy person/serial killer. so I'll leave that one blank...]
- OMGOMG! Central Park! I KNOW you! So close to home! I can doooo this (que Queen: weeee are the champions–told you it was the soundtrack. Also, I promise I’m not really that cocky that I think I’m a champion)!
- Katie, do NOT try to steal that innocent mans orange soda. You may get arrested and you don’t even LIKE orange soda. Pull it together woman!
- I’m done I’m done I’m done! Now I don’t have to think about a grueling long run again until my 20 in 2 weeks!
- And then 2 weeks later its marathon day (pressure pushing down on me…). Oh shit. But wait, I just did 18.5 miles when I really didn’t want to. Maybe I CAN run a marathon?
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a little sneak peek into the ferociously crazy mind of a gal in her mid-twenties, high on adrenaline (crazy little thing called love…of running) and GU, suffering from very little sleep and aching bones after a very late night of working and very, VERY happy to have actually gotten an 18 mile run out of the way before her mom and sister come visit for the weekend.
I could write more. I should write more. But its a beautiful day and I’ve got lots to do and little time do it (oh yeah, because even though my faammmm is in town, I’m working tonight, blurg!) so, next time!
Happy Friday kiddos, enjoy your weekend–it’s supposed to be amaaaazing weather so make the best of it
- What is your favorite snippet of the island to run?
- What’s on your weekend agendaaa?