Today is a great day for so many reasons.
1. I’m still riding a high from an epic wedding weekend. My best friend since 7th grade tied the knot to an awesome man this weekend and I could not be happier for her!
My training suffered a smidge as a result of wedding festivities. The was no time for running on Friday due to manis/pedis, the bridal luncheon and the rehearsal dinner. However, my feet were very grateful for the pampering. And thus, I’m pretty sure that positive reinforcement contributes to training in some way shape or form.
And Saturday was dedicated to errands, updos, photos and well…the wedding itself. Once again, I wasn’t happy to take off for a second day in a row, but I’m pretty sure the calves got a workout of a different kind–dancing nonstop in heels.
The bride looked so beautiful and it was an all-around blast seeing family and friends and boogeying down on the dance floor. Wedding weekend=epic success!
2. It’s Halloween. Which means it’s the anniversary of when I first brought home this little girl:
Since she was small enough to fit in my hand when I brought her home and I bottle-fed her for a good long while afterwards, I consider Halloween this black cat’s birthday. Eat some tuna in her honor. Or spaghetti, potato chips, french fries or essentially any other food (what can I say, she takes after her mother when it comes to eating habits). Happy bday my girl!
3. I get to dress up after all! I’ve eluded to but not flat out told you all that I work at a restaurant. The publishing job that brought me to New York was a temp position, and the temp contract expired at the end of August. It was a sad day, but I didn’t mind the down time. I started waiting tables at a joint around the corner from the apartment for some spending money, and apparently, the staff dresses up for Halloween. I found this out last night, while still in Richmond. I have to be at work in 40 minutes and I’m still not showered from my run. However my green nail polish is drying, I found green lipstick at Rite-Aid and I’ve got a lovely black dress and witches hat. Creative? No. Costume taken care of? Yes.
4. I ran a little over 9 miles today. I meant to do 6. Oops. It felt good after taking off more time than I wanted to while in Richmond, but I need to get better about cutting back for this taper. Bah.
It was also super strange to be dodging tree branches, snow and other debris during my many loops around the upper bridle path today. Not too sure I’ll be wearing shorts for the marathon after all. Which is in 11 days. ZOMG.
5. The reason I finally buckled down to tell you about my restaurant job was not only because I wanted to share my very intricate and well-thought out Halloween costume, but because I can now also tell you that I will not be waiting tables for much longer. Because I got a job offer today! Wootwoot! A very exciting and fun communications position in midtown…ON THE WEST SIDE. Hello, awesome commute! I can’t wait to meet you next Monday!
This is a good thing and bad thing. Bad because I’ll be super nervous starting this new job. And I’ll be starting it during the last week of taper leading up to the marathon. Holy crap. I will probably gain 432423 pounds from nervous eating because (this is the good part) I’ll be severely cutting back on my mileage. It will be much less stressful to start a new routine when I’m only hammering out 3-4 miles at a time each morning, rather than 13-14.
Did I mention I’m late for work? I’m sure I’ll elaborate on all 5 of these things and then some tomorrow, when I have more time.
Happy Monday! Happy Halloween! And hope yours is as happy as mine is